Technical supervision of construction in Vilnius and Lithuania
- one of the services provided by UAB "Keista". This service is regulated by the Minister of Environment of the Republic of Lithuania by the Order of 2016 December 2 No. D1-848 "CONSTRUCTION TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS STR 1.06.01: 2016 “CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS. CONSTRUCTION SUPERVISION OF BUILDING CONSTRUCTION”
About construction project technical supervision requirements
The purpose of construction project technical supervision organized by the client is to monitor and control the construction project and how it corresponds to the conditions of the construction contract, as well as the requirements of construction technical documents, documents, building safety regulations and other legal acts. Deciding whether construction technical supervision is mandatory is can be based on whether the construction works fall into one of the following categories and / or must be carried out according to:
- construction project,
- reconstruction project,
- a project for the reconstruction (modernization) of a building,
- demolition project;
- description of demolition.
Regardless of how the project is financed, the technical supervision of construction project in Vilnius and Lithuania is mandatory in all cases where the execution of the construction work must be carried out according to the construction project. The conclusion of a technical supervision contract is not possible if such supervision is carried out by a construction contractor or by persons working for the contractor’s company.
For technical supervision purposes, the builder (developer) hires a technical supervisor for a construction project. Supervision is based on a contract between the technical supervisor and the builder. The supervision activity starts from the day the supervision contract is concluded (or through the appointment of a technical supervisor for the construction of the building according to the order or other management document laid down in the builder's articles of association).
The signature of the technical supervisor on the relevant documents is a confirmation that the construction manager has fulfilled its requirements, and in the case of acceptance of the performed works, it is confirmed that the works conform to the normative quality requirements, and the construction work volumes indicated in the documents coincide with the actual quantities of construction works.
The technical supervision of building construction in Vilnius by Keista UAB is carried out in the following order:
- customer authorization for construction;
- anchoring and marking on site: geodetic coordinates, rappers, red lines;
- a construction site and the building blueprints, engineering networks’ and communications’ blueprints are passed to the construction manager;
- timely processing of technical and legal documentation;
During the construction of the building, it is constantly checked whether the building is being built according to the construction project, in strict compliance with the laws, other construction documents, legal acts, normative safety documents and destination documents, conditions of accession, construction permit requirements.
Technical supervision of construction in Vilnius and in Lithuania is carried out by certified specialists performing the following functions:
- controls the terms related to the validity of the construction project, construction permit and connection to the engineering networks terms and conditions;
- controls all changes to the design of the structure and how they comply with the prescribed procedures;
- checks compliance of construction works with required technologies and performs control of normative quality of works;
- controls the quality of construction products and equipment and their compliance;
- verifies that the works indicated in the construction documents are correct;
- informs the builder in writing if the quantities indicated in the construction works documents do not correspond to the actual quantities;
- prohibits the use of the building or part thereof without the completion of a construction completion act / declaration.
The builder's (customer's) representative (general building construction supervisor) must control the completion of the construction work log and the compliance of the data contained therein with the actual data. Observes compliance with the requirements of the state institutions and the deadlines for their completion in the construction work log. Prepares the documents needed to complete the construction project together with the contractor.
Qualification of a technical supervision technician
From 2018 the management of non- special and special construction projects can only be managed by certified specialists. The Law on Construction defines the technical supervision of construction, its implementation requirements and the qualification of specialists.
Minimum qualification requirements for supervision managers of special and non- special construction projects technical activities:
- Education: construction engineer or architect;
- Professional experience in the relevant field of activity: 5 years of the special building technical supervision for the Special Building; 2 years as the head of the main areas of technical construction of non-special construction works).
Persons wishing to take the positions of heads of technical activities of special or non-special buildings are required to have professional and legal knowledge in accordance with the procedure established by the Minister of Environment and the qualification certificate. Other requirements related to the technical supervision of construction projects The activity of the technical supervisor of the construction of the building is carried out in accordance with the contract between him and the builder (client). The activity of the technical supervisor of the construction of the building begins with the conclusion of the maintenance contract (or by assigning a technical supervisor of the construction of the building by order or other management document specified in the articles of association of the company) in accordance with the procedure set out in Section 4 of Chapter VII of the Regulation and continues until the completion of the construction or declaration of construction. The maintenance contract shall, among other requirements, set a deadline by which the technical supervisor must provide the builder (customer) with a copy of the civil liability insurance contract, proof of its entry into force, specify the insurance company, the sum insured and the main insurance terms and conditions. Notification of the designated contractor, construction supervision, start of construction work, maintenance must be made no later than on the first working day before the start of construction and their replacement within 3 working days after their appointment. This information can be declared in the Infostatyba information system or in writing to the State Territorial Planning and Construction Inspectorate under the Ministry of Environment. The commencement of the construction technical supervisor's activity is recorded in the maintenance contract in accordance with Section 4 of Chapter VII of the Building Regulation. The activity of the technical maintenance supervisor continues until the completion of the construction completion act or declaration. Among other requirements, the maintenance contract must specify a deadline for the technical supervisor to provide the developer (customer) with a copy of the civil liability insurance contract, the proof of its entry into force, the insurance company, the sum insured and the main insurance terms and conditions. When a tender for construction works is carried out in accordance with the tendering procedures established by the International Federation of Engineers Consultants or the special procurement procedures and other building contracts awarded by other international organizations, the terms shall be drawn up and concluded using the standard construction contract terms of the FIDIC or other international organizations; technical supervision of the construction of the structure is performed by the engineer appointed by the builder (customer). In this case, the duties, rights and responsibilities of the engineer are defined in the contract terms.